I have been playing with the plex version of this scope for a little bit now and have published a first look article a while back.
Now, the good people from SWFA sent me a prototype with the BDC reticle to play with. The specific reticle in this scope is not quite the same as what will go into production models, but it is extremely close and the subtensions will not change. The tree in the reticle is designed around the 55gr M193 5.56×45 load, so I took it to the range and spent some quality time shooting at plates out to 500 yards.
Here is what the reticle in this scope looks like (left) next to the original plex reticle:
I have not yet had a chance to try them side by side in low light, but I suspect that the BDC reticle will do really well, given that I had no problems whatsoever with the thinner plex version. In the picture with the BDC reticle, the plates you see are at 300 and 400 yards and it was a rather warm and hazy day at the range. Still, I could see the plates well enough to hit pretty much everything I aimed at out to 500 yards using MEN and IMI 55gr ammo. For the record, the berm int he picture with the plex reticle is 100 yards away.
I did some off hand shooting with the BDC reticle, with the scope set on 2.5x. The thick lines really help with quick target acquisition and the eye is naturally drawn to the primary aiming point.
There are a couple of features that this BDC reticle has that are not going to make it into production scopes. Here is a close up, so that you can see what I am talking about:
The “M193” on the top left is not going to be there. Also, the small numbers “5” and “10” on the bottom right of the tree are not going to be there. It is sorta self explanatory once you read the manual that wind hashmarks are for 5 and 10 mph winds. Also, I am kinda conflicted on whether I like the numbers 200, 300 and 400 next to the tree. I wonder if it would be better to just use 2, 3 and 4 instead.
The hashmarks worked pretty well. The shooting range where I was testing the scope is in a narrow valley, wit frequent wind gusts that can change direction. The wind changed from almost nothing to around 8mph during my time there and the hashes seemed to be accurate (or at least they matched my read of the wind well enough to hit plates).
I sighted the scope in to be dead on at 200 yards and the holdover worked nicely. The two hashmarks on the horizontal line are 2MOA away from center and the thick bars start 6MOA away from center, so there are reasonable lead references there. All my shooting using the tree was done at 10x.
While the scope with the BDC reticle on it is on my AR, the scope with the plex has been moved to a heavily butchered Mosin Nagant to see if the eye relief gives me any trouble or if the zero shifts. So far, it is stayign zeroed and despite shooting from variety of unorthodox shooting positions, I have not gotten hit by the scope.
It is too early to make any profound conclusions, but so far I like this little scope. I think it is a good match for plinking ARs, walking varminters and micro action boltguns (CZ527 et al).
I’ll leave the plex reticle scope on the Mosin for a bit to see how it does, but now I am kinda curious how it will do a 458SOCOM. Perhaps, I will try it there afterwards.